At Uncommon Threads, we’re serious about helping you succeed in your projects, and we don’t mind resorting to gold stars to do it. Whether you knit to enjoy the process or for the completed project, finishing can be a stressful step. The moment of truth arrives: will it fit? Is it long/deep/warm enough? In February, we’ll reward you for perservering to the end, give you the recognition you deserve, and make it fun as well!
You Belong on Our Wall of Fame…
Bring in any project you’ve finished since January 1, using yarn purchased at Uncommon Threads, and we’ll show you some love:
- We’ll take a picture of you and your finished project for our Wall of Fame (real and virtual: in the shop; on Ravelry, Facebook and our website. You can opt out of the virtual Wall if you wish.)
- Bring your project to Open Knit Night, and we’ll have a beautiful backdrop available to photograph against. We’ll also help you post your project on Ravelry.
- Your name will go in to a prize drawing to be announced at the end of February. The grand prize is a $100 gift certificate to Uncommon Threads!
- If you’ve finished a sweater, you’ll also receive a coupon for 10% off a future purchase.
- If you’ve finished your FIRST sweater ever, you’ll receive the 10% off coupon and a special gift.
Every finished project using Uncommon Threads yarn is good for an entry to the prize drawing, so finish as many as you can!
… And We’ll Help You Get There
When you knit and crochet quickly, your stitches are more consistent and you can complete projects faster. What’s the secret? Our teachers share their treasure trove of experience to help you be a more efficient stitcher and finish your projects beautifully. There are a few spaces left in Lyle’s Finish It class on Saturday, January 31–learn the best way to seam your pieces together and other critical finishing steps. The class project for my Embrace the Hook: Learn to Crochet class starting this Sunday is a simple, feminine cloche hat, and you’ll be amazed how quickly double crochet works up. Clementine’s Clinics on Continental Knitting (February 7) and Magic Loop (February 14) will add to your arsenal of techniques for knitting at the speed of light. I happened to be at Vogue Knitting Live in Seattle two years ago when they held a speed knitting competition–notice that each knitter has her yarn on the left side, Continental style!
Sometimes the best way to “finish” is to move on: let go of unsatisfying projects, of yarn that isn’t quite right, and clear your mental space. This Sunday, February 1, you can unload your unwanted stash yarns during our annual Super Sunday Yarn Swap. You never know what delightful surprises you might find in someone else’s stash, and you can be sure your skeins will go to a good home elsewhere. Swaps are at the discretion of the participants, and yarn left at the end of the day will be donated.
With your works-in-progress in the finishing queue and yarn stash under control, you’ve earned the right to indulge yourself for spring! Rowan’s spring Magazine 57 arrives next week, as does their new 4ply cotton yarn, Summerlite. We have gorgeous new colors of Dragonfly Damsel, Phydeaux Beurre DK and Noro Silk Garden… and what could be sweeter than saving 20% off all of it at our semi-annual sale on February 6 & 7?